Whether you call it UBI (Universal Basic Income), BIG (Basic Income Guarantee), or free money for all, it’s a great idea. Scott Santens is one of the leading voices and advocates for basic income. He’s a prolific writer, blogger, and a moderator of the Basic Income Community on Reddit. And, as it turns out, a great guest! Thanks for chatting with these Bros on their Singularity Podcast, Scott.
You can’t go wrong with a Santens article. Here are some of the ones we refer to in the episode:
- Google Homes and WikiHouses
- A Future Without Jobs Does Not Equal a Future Without Work
- The Basic Affordability of Basic Income
- Trickle-Down Economics Must Die
- Yes, It Really Is Different This Time
And here’s some other stuff we talk about:
- A twenty-year-long study intended to observe the mental health of low-income children in North Carolina accidentally became an argument for basic income. Oops.
- The Healthy Climate and Family Security Act of 2015 is dope. Share, support, make merry.
- Think a basic income will just lead to people getting drunk and high? Read the World Bank’s review of the results of cash transfer programs and think again.
- Scott credits Marshall Brain’s Manna as inspiration to join the basic income conversation.
- And though it didn’t get mentioned in this episode, we’re all fans of this talk by Alan Watts. If you still have lingering doubts about basic income, listen to his awesome British voice and be wiser for it.