Among other things, we talk about progress, both broreign and bromestic. (No, I will not stop.)
Before doling out that linky goodness, a word about water and places like Flint. I think I can speak for the Bros when I say, we feel bad and sad. Our podcast looks at the negatives and positives of cutting-edge issues, but we can’t deny there’s a lot of enthusiasm here about what’s on the horizon. And then you learn that, in some parts of the country, not only aren’t we advancing into the future, we’re slipping back into the past.
This isn’t a call to action, but rather a call to conversation. There’s only so much signing online petitions can do for a weary heart. If you have ideas about how to get involved, please let us know. If you know a thing about water systems or have something you’d like to say about water rights, maybe you’d be interested in joining us on the show. In the meantime, check out Community Water Justice and what they’re up to.
Now on with the show (notes)!
- AlphaGo, the latest AI creation out of DeepMind, trounced the European Go champion. Next up: the world champ.
- The idea of radical persistence comes up again. We go into it in more depth in our episode Oculus Grift.
- Automation could eliminate up to 85% of jobs in the developing world. Some see this as a bad thing, but maybe we could see the least-developed countries leapfrog us to 100% solar power and basic income. Yeah…maybe I’m a Chinese jet pilot.
- SpaceX is killing its competitors. Can’t say we’ll mourn for them.
- Dictators know young men are natural fanatics. If only we could leverage that power for good.
- Our episode with Scott Santens comes up. If you haven’t heard it, go hear it.
- Here’s our pal George Dvorsky breaking down the latest brain preservation breakthrough. And here he is chatting with us.
And here are our Media Mentions! Or is it Digital Lovely Bits? Pop Culture Connectons? Settle this for us, dear listener-reader, please!
- Carl Sagan’s magnificent Cosmos
- Diaspora (yes, again)
- The Expanse
- A Fighter’s Heart by Sam Sheridan
- Nexus by Ramez Naam
- The Revenant [Blu-ray]
- Tom Segura’s latest Netflix special, Mostly Stories
- Our favorite podcasts, Robot Overlordz, Review The Future, Limited Resources, and anything Dan Carlin does.
- Lastly, for those who truly need to kill time, R. Kelly’s epic, Trapped In The Closet.