Dr. Dan Saunders, love child of Karl Marx and Rudy Ray Moore—from a future where that kind of thing is not only possible but encouraged—joins us for a ripping conversation about capitalism, appitalism, and slapitalism. Snap(italism)!
Ready for the link storm? Here goes:
- AlphaGo vs. feeble human. By now you probably know how this went. AlphaGo is 9-1 in its professional Go record. All matches were against current or former champions. Kiss your kids goodbye and read up here.
- The Second Machine Age. The idea, the book, the legend (probably not the last one though).
- Automation, coming to a McDonald’s near you. Also to Applebee’s and Chili’s.
- Dan introduced me to the concept of the boss button. I love it. Read a bit about its evolution here.
- We return to the idea of apploitation, which we covered more thoroughly in an earlier episode.
- I’m excited that basic income is becoming big enough news to earn some haters, like this clod, and this clown. Seriously though, folks, do you think these would-be refutations are compelling? Have you seen any that are? If so, please let us know. Don’t let us suffocate in our bubble!
- Soooooo 62 people own as much as (the bottom) half of the world. Is this Westeros? Fuck.
- Young men are crazy. No, but really doh.
- We’re thinking about doing a call-in segment, but the way we record, it would probably turn out like this.
- Gilles Deleuze: An Introduction
- Want to understand class? Try Understanding Class by Erik Olin Wright.
- The Responsible Methodologist by Aaron M. Kuntz. Dan informs me that this book also addresses Foucault and his idea that everything is dangerous. LEARNING BONUS!!!
- Who is this man Rich Wolff? Find out at Democracy at Work (d@w). Also peep his YouTube channel.
- The “S” Word: A Short History of an American Tradition…Socialism by John Nichols
- Read up on educational stratification in this paper by Randall Collins.
- The Making of the Indebted Man: An Essay on the Neoliberal Condition by Maurizio Lazzarato.
- And now, for something a bit less academic, the one and only Preacher. Read it before the AMC series
ruins it, er, I mean, debuts. Warning: Preacher is like twenty years old now and was written in a time when people were not as sensitive. Shit is often fucked in the world of Preacher.
- Media 4 Ur Mouf: Hill Farmstead Brewery and the beer that stole Tom’s heart, Arthur.