Author and home schooling advocate Jeff Till joins us to talk about how school sucks. Music to our ears.
This one ended up being a bit on the short side and we didn’t get to wax philosophical about robot teachers as much as we would have liked. Nevertheless, it was great talking to Jeff and we hope to continue this conversation in the future. (We’re all about the future.)
- At one point I referenced Malcom Gladwell’s book Blink, but the chapter I was thinking about—an examination of the KIPP Academy—is actually in Outliers. Whoops.
- I, for one, had no idea how much is spent per pupil per year in the American public school system. The most recent national average is $10,700, with some districts spending over $20K per student per year. Shit, that’s your basic income right there.
- Who is this Sugata Mitra person I mention again, seemingly out of the blue this time? Who indeed.
- The epic Elon Musk Blog Series from Wait But Why. Now available as an ebook too.
- Check out 80,000 Hours and their career guide to “maximise [sic, they British—sick] the social impact of your career choices.”
- First and foremost, our guest’s book, Rise Above School. Also be sure to check out Jeff’s blog, Five Hundred Years.
- If you want more on the “education vs. schooling” tip, Jeff recommends the work of John Taylor Gatto. Jeff’s favorites are the books Dumbing Us Down and Weapons of Mass Instruction, and the mammoth interview The Ultimate History Lesson. At the top of the show, Jeff also mentioned the works of John Holt and Grace Llewellyn, if you’re craving more education-about-education goodness.
- Another Jeff pick, and one that I myself have been enjoying of late: Brett Veinotte’s School Sucks Project.
- Follow a man’s journey from zero martial arts experience to his first cage fight in the documentary Barbaric Gentlemen.
- Legalize It All, argues Dan Baum.
- Follow a cavalcade of counterintuitive and confounding conclusions in this excellent talk on Effective Altruism featuring ethics rockstar William MacAskill.
- That Sugar Film
- Dom D’Agostino talkin keto and fasting on the Tim Ferriss Show
- More on fasting from Smart Drug Smarts. Also check out the host of Smart Drug Smarts on Robot Overlordz.