The bros get back to basics. In this episode we talk about basic rights, like the right to get messed up on 420weeddrugs and the right to not have to sell your body.
This is our special 4/20 episode where nobody got high (except on Bengal Spice tea). We basic. On with the notes.
- Pennsylvania passed a bill for (un-smokeable) medical marijuana. Baby steps.
- Sir Richard Branson writes about the United Nations General Assembly session to discuss global drug policy.
- It looks like Canada’s going for it: fully legal recreational marijuana for the whole country.
- The DEA is thinking about rescheduling marijuana. Yes, do that.
- Check out the work of Dr. Carl Hart and maybe undo some of the damage that D.A.R.E. did to your brain.
- Ohio voted against marijuana monopolies, though it cost them legalization for the time being.
- The Cyborg Buddha himself, James Hughes, visits the Future Thinkers for a great conversation. Don’t forget to listen to Hughes here as well.
- Game developers, do you love having your work belittled? Do you enjoy having a smug fuckface scoff at the very idea that what you do is labor? Then this piece is for you!
- Always love plugging this Aeon piece: Homes for the homeless
- A masterful takedown of trickle-down economics—in which the multiplier effect is explained—by the inimitable Scott Santens. For more Santens, listen to this.
- Colin Holtz’s less than watertight (but still rousing) argument for basic income in light of the Panama Papers.
- Ben Schiller on why you should support basic income.
- I’m pretty sure that, like a dummy, I confused On Point with Radio Open Source. Anyway, it was an episode of the latter that I was referencing, featuring Paul Mason and Andrew McAfee. The topic: the evil that is finally being named: Neoliberalism. For more on that evil and its overdue naming, here’s George Monbiot.
- Joe Rogan talks to Eddie Huang and gets basic income basically wrong.
- Had enough basic income links? Too bad! Lightning round! Africa (Kenya)! Switzerland! Canada (Ontario)! Finland! The Netherlands (Utrecht)! Sam Altman and Y Combinator (neither city, state, province, country nor continent—but still)!
- Man on Fire
- John Wick
- MONEY Master the Game by Tony Robbins
- Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman
- Vice Episode 45: The Future of Energy
- Blue light-reducing and eyeball-saving apps Twilight and f.lux
- Diaspora by Greg Egan
- “Transhumanism” by Julian Huxley
- “Daedalus, or, Science and the Future” by JBS Haldane
- “In Praise of Idleness” by Bertrand Russell