“I wish I could be everywhere that people are doing art.” So do we. Does art have utilitarian origins, and if so, will all jobs eventually evolve into artistic traditions? Shit, I dunno. Now where did I leave that Pokéball?
- Santens is gonna rock the UBI panel at The Summit at the DNC. With mainstream political coverage, and support from Unite (Britain’s largest trade union) and Andy Stern (the former president of the SEIU, one of the largest unions in the US), basic income could become a reality sooner than later.
- This Intelligence Squared debate on AI had me pulling my remaining hairs out. Watch or listen if you too want to go bald.
- If you aren’t into BJJ, move on to the next note. If you are, check out this fantastic seminar by the legendary Chris Haueter.
- For more on the utility and history of rhythm and music, check out the first chapter of James Gleick’s The Information and the eighth chapter of Steven Pinker’s How the Mind Works.
- Music video games make a person more likely to pick up a physical instrument—and other counterintuitive claims about video games, courtesy of Jane Mc Gonigal.
- Triumphs of digital distribution. Cory Doctorow makes a lot of money giving his books away. Radiohead makes more money with a pay-what-you-want model for In Rainbows than from all of their previous albums combined. People kill it on Kickstarter, e.g. Amanda Palmer and the team behind Torment: Tides of Numenera.
- “[A]n ongoing attempt at an algorithmically-generated, readability-adjusted scatter-plot of the musical genre-space, based on data tracked and analyzed for 1494 genres by Spotify.” AKA SUPER COOL MUSIC MAP!
- “1,000 True Fans” by Kevin Kelly
- Man kills it, piano-style, on Twitch.
- There were too many Pokémon GO links to “catch em all,” if you catch my drift. GO find them yourself. HAHAHAHOHOHO…I don’t get it. Where am I?
I didn’t have the wisdom of S.O.L.O.M.O.N. (Silico-Organic Logically Operating Morality Optimization Network) to decide who gets the media mention for Kevin Kelly’s The Inevitable, so I’m putting it here. Also check out Kevin Kelly’s recent spots on Review the Future and Robot Overlordz.
- Surviving AI by Calum Chace