I know the future is scary and complicated, but is it too early to start planting some stakes in the ground? Can we recognize that we’re closer to knowing right from wrong than we usually admit to ourselves and one another? Shit, I dunno, bro.
In addition to our moral musings, we also talk AR, VR, and Tesla’s machinations. Peep notes.
- Ad-blocking company Shine wants to block ads at the carrier level—and they’ve already partnered with carriers in Europe. I’m not sure how these ad-blocking wars will play out, and I’m not even sure where I stand on this issue. If feel you can help me make sense of these matters, holler.
- Virtual winter is coming. From Second Life successor Sansar, to VR theme parks like MetaWorld and The Void, VR offerings are cropping up and looking sweet as hell. Hop on your omnidirectional treadmill and get going.
- Join me again in my anger as we explore the inane and fractious comments of Jaron Lanier in this Intelligence Squared debate.
- Steven Pinker explains how (mostly) Catholic theologians infiltrated ethics councils and pushed intuitively appealing yet ultimately vacuous concepts like “human dignity” in his essay, “The Stupidity of Dignity.”
- Am I wrong, or does Kevin Kelly’s Christianity just not compute?
- Tesla’s Master Plan, Part Deux.
- Alternatives to bullets, courtesy of The Marshall Project. Check out the item called “The Alternative.”
- The Fighter’s Mind by Sam Sheridan
- Surviving AI by Calum Chace
- The Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Yeah, the whole thing. Check out this nifty reading guide. You can thank me later.
- The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones