Cheery. Breezy. Forecasting is easy.
We’re in one of those moods. The future looks dim. Will we survive the coming speciation event? To help my odds, please send me your discarded animal bones at Singularity Scott c/o the woods.
- Since recording this episode, I’ve realized that I can’t distinguish the films What the Bleep Do We Know!? and I Am. Eh, whatever. They both suck (I bet).
- Carl Sagan’s pseudonymous paean to cannabis, “Mr. X.”
- Michio Kaku doesn’t quite get it re psychedelics.
- Much of what we say about the effects of marijuana comes from The Botany of Desire and On Drugs. The rest of it comes from experience. Yeah. What.
- If you really, really care, you can watch Richard Dawkins try out the “God Helmet.” But seriously, who got time for that?
- That Radiolab episode about trans-cranial direct current stimulation and how it made some lady better at gun-shooting (i.e. shooting bullets out of guns).
- Yoga and meditation cure every problem in Baltimore.
- Did parents protest school yoga programs in California or Georgia? Trick question: both.
- Who we talkin bout again? You guessed it: Yuval Noah Harari. If you’re too busy to read Sapiens and Homo Deus—like me, super busy business-guy—at least check out his recent appearance on The Ezra Klein Show.
- Remember: Free Is A Lie. Try to prevent: Fifteen Million Merits.
- Of Peter Frase’s Four Futures, “exterminism”, sounds worst.
- Speaking of futures I’d like to avoid, I hope we don’t see more islands become private property.
- I find Steven Pinker’s The Better Angels of Our Nature to be both great reading and very convincing. Read it. Or, get the gist of it in ~20 minutes.
- Is predictive policing on the horizon? John Danaher and Andrew Ferguson discuss.
- The music of Marconi Union
- Torment: Tides of Numenera
- The Pillars of Eternity series
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. Also check out Pressfield on The Joe Rogan Experience.
- High-protein nut spreads from Nuts N More: Toffee Crunch Peanut Butter, Chocolate Maple Pretzel Peanut Butter, and Cinnamon Raisin Almond Butter
- Big Hero 6
- The Incredibles
- The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan
- Just about any Justin’s nut butter product