We are the opposite of that wholesome goodness from your childhood. Unlearn how to count to twelve with us.
Lessons learned: We can’t be whatever we want to be and we’re no better than pigs. Our experiment with the Job Immortality Clause was a dud, but I swear it’s a thing we didn’t make up. Finally, the return of Lightning Round™.
- Since it gets brought up a lot these days, you should probably check out Peter Singer’s classic “drowning child” piece.
- What’s that? You want more utilitarian ethics? Well, then I suggest you listen to Will MacAskill on The Joe Rogan Experience. You might also enjoy exploring the idea of earning to give.
- I couldn’t find a credible link for my claim that running might not be great for losing weight. Just type in some of those words into your search engine of choice and either confirm or challenge your bias.
- Here’s some of Carol Dweck’s “fixed mindset vs. growth mindset” stuff.
- All remarks about Roy and the carpet store once again refer to the greatest show of the last 5-10 years, Rick and Morty.
- Have I ever mentioned how much I loved How the Mind Works? Like anything by Steven Pinker, it’s well worth your time.
- Check out Zwift if you want to bicycle race without leaving your house. Or you can cycle across the UK in VR like this bloke did.
- “Google exec claims that robots will be ‘as intelligent as people’ within 12 years”
- “Within 20 Years Automation May Take the Place of About $5.1 Trillion/year in Labor With More Than 98% of Savings Going to Those Who Are Already Multi-Millionaires”
- “This company’s productivity soared after replacing 90% of employees with robots”
- “No clerks required in world’s first unmanned convenience store”
- “An Ad Agency Now Has the World’s First AI Creative Director”
- “Computers now better than humans at recognising and sorting images”
- “It Begins: Bots Are Learning to Chat in Their Own Language”
- “The U.S. Has $732 Billion Invested in Robotics Stock”
- “How to Upgrade Judges with Machine Learning”
- “This Puzzle Could Reveal the Key to Human Consciousness”
- “Man v machine: can computers cook, write and paint better than us?”
- “Robots Will Take Two-Thirds of All Jobs In the Developing World, UN Says”
- “Daniel Dennett’s Science of the Soul” (via The New Yorker)
- David Chalmers on the Waking Up podcast with Sam Harris
- BBC’s Why I Changed My Mind