Sex, crimes, and robots. Get some.
We clobber our way through all the delicate, digital dilemmas of the day. Who knew it was so easy?
- So people think there’s a “27 Club,” comprised of famous famousies who died at 27. Ditto for 32, and maybe 33 as well. Two things on that: 1) The idea was debunked. 2) Every link celebrating such clubs is clickbait garbage. (Is “clickbait garbage” redundant?)
- “Rise of the Sex Robots” (via The Guardian)
- Philosopher Nancy Bauer talks about pornography, objectification, etc. on The UnMute Podcast.
- Many tips of the hat to John Danaher, specifically his work on predictive policing and virtualized/robotized sex crimes.
- I tried to connect some dots between religiosity and particular sex-related outcomes (or remember that I’d heard such things before). Here’s what I found in fact-checking myself: “Residents of more religious and more politically conservative states are more likely to search for sex and porn online.” Also, “increased religiosity in residents…strongly predicted a higher teen birth rate” in this study.
- One day, one of us will finish the Wait But Why piece on Neuralink.
- We are also slowly working our way through The Age of Em, which is damn impressive so far.
- Our conversation with Mark Kleiman about drug policy is worth listening to, despite my enthusiasm for one of the worst puns of the 21st century.
- While I’m on drugs—ba-dum ching—I’ll further refer you to the work of Carl Hart and Johann Hari. These guys, and others, have me convinced that the “chemical hooks” model of addiction is bunkum.
- Are Native Americans more at risk of alcoholism? I have no idea and I’m definitely not smart enough to form one any time soon. At any rate, my intention wasn’t to perpetuate harmful stereotypes. It was to express curiosity about whether there might be some evidence rooted in genetics. You know, the kind of thing a super-AI will figure out in one picosecond because it doesn’t give a shit about our taboos.
- Review The Future reviews the digital assistant landscape—and comes down on the side of paid (i.e. Siri). We’re inclined to agree.
- The Tallest Man on Earth (a band)
- I’m the World’s Tallest Virgin (a video)
- Now I’m The Tallest (a shirt)
- Alright, now for the real mentions.
- The Boy and the Beast
- Blacksad by Juan Díaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido
Casey (!) (?)