Helicopter parenting, VR prison pods, and more. Oh my.
This one’s all over the place. Thanks again for the interesting feedback, superheroic listeners.
- Here’s what you really came here for: military commercials from our collective memory. Army of one. Marine vs. lava monster. Bobby’s World (don’t question it).
- So, a lot of the things that we said (I said) about the safety of children needed qualification or were just plain wrong. But the overall point that this increase in safety doesn’t owe to busybody parenting styles seems to hold some water. (And therefore, even when we’re wrong, we’re somehow right. Amazing job, us.) My summary of the issue is that 1) crime is down overall since a peak in the late 80s/early 90s, making everyone, not just kids, safer; and 2) now kids are more vulnerable to the maladies of wealthy Western culture, like obesity, diabetes, depression, etc. For more on this, check out these neatly organized crime stats from Free-Range Kids. Oh, and also check out Lenore Skenazy, the founder of Free-Range Kids, on episodes 147 and 294 of Robot Overlordz.
- “How ‘Concept Creep’ Made Americans So Sensitive to Harm”
- The famous “affluenza” case
- Kids and their environs are too clean, and their immune systems are paying for it. Good thing I’m a slob who eats food off the floor. Heh, er, I mean, food on the floor. Phew, that was close.
- Remember that library of all possible books? You do now.
- Calum Chace and Robin Hanson have a bet going.
- Pew confirms that this is a very polarized time, indeed.
- Roko’s (pronounced rock-oh’s) basilisk: the cyber-demon that punishes you for not creating it hard enough.
- Dream On
- Herman’s Head
- Sebastian Maniscalco’s special, Aren’t You Embarrassed?
- Hannibal Buress’s special, Hannibal Takes Edinburgh
- Pili nuts. There are cheaper places to get them, but you should try before you buy.