Our very first guest—and one of our favorites—James Hughes returns to keep it 100.
- What’s that you say? Nicotine is a cognitive enhancer? Our buddy Jesse Lawler has the scoop over at Smart Drug Smarts.
- “Oxytocin Could Make You Racist” (via Time)
- “Overcome By Emotion,” the tale of a man who became “entirely rational” (via Radiolab)
- Read more on The Capability Approach over at the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Of course I know what soma is! Oh, who am I kidding? I’ve never read Brave New World. I’ve never even read David Pearce’s defense of Brave New World.
- I believe the essay by JBS Haldane that influenced the Huxley bros so was none other than “Daedalus, or, Science and the Future.”
- Peter Diamandis says we’re about to become a superorganism. And Zach says Kevin Kelly already called this, as well as coined the term: Holos.
- Yuval Harari argues—in Sapiens and elsewhere—that money is a story. Ditto that for religions, nations, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
- Here’s more on the history of basic income, including the input of André Gorz, courtesy of the Basic Income Earth Network.
- If you’re in Chicago this summer, go say hi to James at the 2017 DSA Convention.
- Wanna know what education will look like in the future? Neal Stephenson got you: The Diamond Age.
- For more on homeschooling, give our chat with Jeff Till a listen.
- “An Iceberg the Size of Delaware Just Broke Away From Antarctica” (via The New York Times)